We recently had a family staying with us who asked me to recommend somewhere for dinner. Once they’d decided on the White House, I made a reservation for them. They really enjoyed their dinner there, to the point they said it was the best meal out they’d had. That’s not unusual as I often help people with suggestions and recommendations on places to go. They had told me this was the only bed and breakfast they were staying in on their trip and the rest of the time they were staying in Airbnb properties. Afterwards it struck me that this is the essential difference between Airbnb versus a bed and breakfast or guest house, the human interaction.
Of course there’s lots of advantages to using Airbnb, like flexible space, often with cooking and laundry facilities. But you are missing out on the valuable connections with local people that help you find out about a country. You can find out plenty of information online but it doesn’t beat the local knowledge from people who live here. You’re also missing out on mixing with other tourists. Over breakfast guests often share information on places they’ve just been to so it’s very up-to-date. I’ve heard people who were staying on the Isle of Skye the day before recommend places to visit to guests on their way there that day.
Comparing price may seem like you’re getting more for your money with Airbnb, although the price is often the same or more expensive. Remember just a few of the extras you get in a b&b.
- a delicious breakfast made by your host – a great start to the day
- you room is serviced daily – who wants to make their bed while on holiday?
- valuable knowledge of your host who can make recommendations and reservations
- interaction with other guests and sharing information about your travels
- facilities and services assessed annually by a national tourism organisation like VisitScotland
- confidence that the business follows health and safety regulations and has public liability insurance
So if these points are important for you when you travel, consider booking a bed and breakfast for the real travel experience. To check availability and rates at Bannerman Bed and Breakfast, Inverness click here.